Monday, December 21, 2009

Does Milk Thistle protect or cleanse the liver or does it do both?

It protects. The active ingredient has been tested and is effective at protecting (to some degree, anyway) the liver from toxins. I have HCV and have been taking it for quite some time now with no ill effects. When first diagnosed my ALT %26amp; AST enzyme levels were just above 400, my levels now are hovering around 100.


These enzymes are released by damage to the liver, with an average person you would expect a level below 40. It won't stop the damage completely but it does help. By the way I'm a non-responder to current interferon treatments and still have HCV. I do think that the Milk Thistle is responsible for my HCV remaining stable, as far as damage to my liver, it does not reduce the viral load though, that continues to climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment